From Elements of Change
(This one (and 59 others) require a "Do over")
I goofed up big time last year. I printed four folios, (about sixty prints) and discovered a flaw that looked like banding or misaligned print heads. This defect was visible only with a very critical (i.e., your nose is about two inches from the print, with glasses perched atop your head) inspection. I took my printer to the local Epson fix it shop where they proclaimed my printer to be in tip top mechanical shape. Eventually, I discovered inDesign works differently when fitting photographs to the frame and fitting the frame to the photographs. When fitting work to the frame, the effective pixels per inch in the horizontal and vertical direction can be different. The print drivers barf on this inconsistency and produce an artifact that looks like misaligned printer heads.
With the root cause discovered and remedied, the next step was to reprint the defective images. It was “obvious” that the fix was “minor” and only a few tweaks here and there would save the day. (You know what is coming next.) That didn’t work. The minor tweaks and fixes made the prints looked significantly worse than when they just had the banding.
Finally, we get to the title of this post. I get a “do over” on these four folios. I would almost rather take a whuppin’ than have to go back and re-do these four projects. However, I have invented an excuse to make this almost palatable. I am (allegedly) much smarter now. I have made several changes to my work process and now make much more efficient use of Lightroom, inDesign and Acrobat. It will be interesting to see how much less time it will take rework those folios.